The US Still Doesn’t Want to Admit to the 44 Dead Yemenis

In a timely report, the Bureau of Independent Journalism yesterday released a report on the increased number of US drone strikes in Yemen in the last year, since Arab Spring uprisings challenged Ali Abdullah Saleh’s power and insurgents made significant gains in the south.

Covert US strikes against alleged militants in Yemen have risen steeply during the Arab spring, and are currently at the same level as the CIA’s controversial drone campaign in Pakistan, a new study by the Bureau reveals.

At least 26 US military and CIA strikes involving cruise missiles, aircraft, drones or naval bombardments have taken place in the volatile Gulf nation to date, killing hundreds of alleged militants linked to the regional al Qaeda franchise. But at least 54 civilians have died too, the study found.

[snip]

The recent surge in attacks appears linked to the appointment of the new president, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. In his inauguration speech he called for ‘the continuation of war against al-Qaida as a religious and national duty.’

Along with an update on drone strike numbers in Yemen, TBIJ released the results of a report the Yemeni government commission did into the December 17, 2009 strike in which–the report concludes–44 civilians were killed. The report provides names and ages of those civilian victims; half are children. It also describes the lethal effect of cluster bombs included in the missiles.

This is the attack, of course, that journalist Abdelelah Haider Shaye reported on, one of the reasons, presumably the President Obama personally intervened to keep Shaye in prison. And the Yemeni government found even more civilians had died in the attack than Shaye first reported.

Among other things, the release of the report gave TBIJ to ask State–WikiLeaked cables from which clearly confirm the US role in this strike–for comment on the strike. And in spite of irrefutable evidence we were behind the attack, here’s what State said to TBIJ.

A State Department spokesperson, speaking on background terms, replied: ‘I don’t have any information for you with respect to the December 17, 2009 incident in question. I refer you to the Government of Yemen for additional information on its counterterrorism efforts.’

It’s bad enough that State pretends to know nothing of this strike. But at this point, deferring questions to Yemen really destroys our credibility.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Reddit0Share on Facebook0Google+0Email to someone

3 Responses to The US Still Doesn’t Want to Admit to the 44 Dead Yemenis

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Emptywheel Twitterverse
bmaz @adamsteinbaugh Barry would kick your ass for comparing him to Trump
2mreplyretweetfavorite
bmaz RT @emptywheel: In Reauthorizing the Dragnet, FISC Makes a Mockery of the Amicus Provision https://t.co/RVRKfXKXkx
4mreplyretweetfavorite
bmaz Looking forward to late night Gerstein tavern email analysis https://t.co/VfL7xLGuHW
6mreplyretweetfavorite
JimWhiteGNV @onekade They really shoulda listened to you...
13mreplyretweetfavorite
JimWhiteGNV There's another tackle by FIFA's bullshit artificial turf.
20mreplyretweetfavorite
bmaz @froomkin @LizaGoitein No, the first rule of secret law is you cannot know about secret law.
21mreplyretweetfavorite
JimWhiteGNV RT @armandodkos: Wambach scores sez casual USWNT Gators fan.
23mreplyretweetfavorite
bmaz @rickhasen This is what you did with my bonus leap second? Monster.
24mreplyretweetfavorite
bmaz @ddayen I told you Musk was a dick.
34mreplyretweetfavorite
bmaz No. Assumes facts not in evidence, to wit: That there is any supervision whatsoever of FISC+FISCR https://t.co/DSksoL5EZV
36mreplyretweetfavorite
bmaz This sounds like a social media threat from proven thugs. Where were you radicalized?? https://t.co/ufdniadHdc
42mreplyretweetfavorite
bmaz Holy crap, for some entirely inexplicable reason @CNN and @ErinBurnett had David Sweat's mother on. Holy crap, what a side show!
46mreplyretweetfavorite