As you no doubt know, Trump filed a document that purports to be a request for a Special Master last night, over a week after discussing privilege issues with DOJ and three days after promising a significant Fourth Amendment filing.
This document is a lot of things:
- A confession to a violation of the Espionage Act
- A confession to making a threat against the Attorney General
- A legal shit show
- Serial proof that a Trump search was conducted like other searches
- Filed in the wrong place at the wrong time
- Probably written in significant part by Kash Patel
- Not backed by sworn declarations to substantiate its “factual claims”
- An invocation not of special master reviews by Trump’s own personal attorneys but instead an invocation of a terrorist lawyer convicted of conspiring with that terrorist.
One thing it is not is a significant Fourth Amendment filing. Trump couldn’t even manage that competently.
I’m going to go update my “known and likely affidavit contents” post with more basis for probable cause with claims from this and the NARA letter to Trump (PDF via NARA) John Solomon released.
emptywheel Trump Espionage coverage
[from Rayne] Other Possible Classified Materials in Trump’s Safe
[from Peterr] Merrick Garland Preaches to an Overseas Audience